Want to quickly send an SMS message to more than one person? Here’s how to do a group text on Android in Google Messages and Samsung Messages. Group texts are a fast, affordable, and reliable way to send the same message to several people simultaneously. For example, if you host parties and want to notify all the invitees, sending them a single group text can save time and even phone bills.
Here’s how to create and send group texts in the Google Messages app, and also on a Samsung phone.
How to Send Group Messages on Android Using the Google Messages App
Google Messages is a super fast and highly customizable text messaging app, and the default on many Android phones. Here’s how to send a group SMS using the app.
- Download Google Messages if you don’t already have it installed. It’s free.
- Open the app and tap Start chat to open the New conversation screen.
- Tap Create group to open the New group conversation screen.
- Type the names of the people you want to add to your group and select them when they pop up. You may also see your frequent contacts highlighted at the top. If a contact has multiple saved numbers, select the number you want in the group.
- Tap Next, type a group name in the Add group name menu, and tap Next again.
- If you want to leave the group unnamed, tap Skip instead.
- Type your message in the text box. If you receive a prompt to confirm your phone number, add it and hit OK. Your message will be sent to the group.
Sometimes, sending a group text won’t work unless you enable the group MMS option in the Messages app. To do this, open the Messages app and tap the three-dots menu, and select Settings. Then, go to Advanced and enable MMS under Group messaging. You may need to turn on the Auto-retrieve (or Auto-download MMS on some devices) option to stop getting notifications every time a member of the group replies. You can also check out the best free Android messaging apps for a more feature-rich messaging experience.
How to Create Groups and Send Group Messages on Samsung Phones
If you have a Samsung phone and use Samsung Messages over Google Messages, you can create groups from within the Contacts app and mass text them later.
How to Create a Group in the Samsung Contacts App
In order to send a text to a group, we’ll first create a group to contact. Follow these steps:
- Open the Samsung Contacts app, tap the hamburger menu, and select Groups.
- Tap Create group, type a group name, and tap Add member.
- Find and select your desired contacts from the list. If you accidentally add the wrong contact, tap the red minus icon beside the name to remove the contact from the group. Tap Done to finish.
- You can also set a custom ringtone for each group by tapping Group ringtone.
- Once done, tap Save.
How to Send a Group Text on Samsung Phones
Follow these steps to send a text to a group directly from the Samsung Messages app:
- Open the Samsung Messages app and tap the Compose new message icon.
- In the Recipient box, tap the Add (+) icon, and tap Groups.
- Select your desired group, tap All, and tap Done. You can add or remove members from this group later on using the Add (+) icon.
- Type your text message and send it.
You can also send group texts from the Samsung Contacts app. Follow these steps:
- Open the Samsung Contacts app, tap the hamburger menu, and tap Groups.
- Select your desired group, tap the three-dots menu, and select Send message.
- Type your text message and send it.
Note that group texting uses the SMS protocol, so group creators are the only ones who will receive recipients’ replies. If you want replies to a group conversation delivered to all recipients, then you should consider enabling MMS. Also, note that you can only group text up to 20 recipients at a time regardless of whether you’re using Google Messages or Samsung Messages. If your group has more members, you might find these group chat apps for Android more suitable. And if you plan to send messages to hundreds of recipients or more, check out our list of the best Android apps for sending SMS messages in bulk.
Is Group Texting Still Relevant Today?
Absolutely! When it comes to group texting, many apps out there can get the job done, but they might require an internet connection to work. That’s unlike Google Messages and other SMS apps which don’t require a data connection to send group texts.
You can create a contact list, called a group, in the Contacts app on an Android phone to send messages to. This can be useful if you frequently want to create a text message to the same group of people, such as a group of business colleagues or friends. Android contact groups can be a handy way to make sure you’re texting the right people and not leaving anyone important out.
Create a Group in Contacts
To create a contact group in Android, first open the Contacts app. Then, tap the menu button on the top left of the screen and tap «Create label.» From there, enter the name you want for the group and tap the «OK» button. To add people to the group, tap the «Add Contact» button or plus sign icon. Then, if you want to add just one person to the group, tap one entry from your contacts list. To add multiple people, tap and hold someone on your contacts list, then tap additional people you want to add to the group. When you’re done selecting people, tap the «Add» button.
Using Android Contact Groups
If you want to send a text message to a group on Android, you can select it from your contacts within your messaging app. Different Android phones ship with slightly different messaging apps depending on your carrier, and you can install custom messaging apps that may behave slightly differently, but you can generally select the group that you want by scrolling through a list of contacts and groups or using an auto-suggest text box. Once you select the group, you should be able to draft a text message group to its members. Generally replying to subsequent messages in the text message thread will send more messages to the group without you having to select it again.
Deleting Members of Groups
In some cases, you may create a phone group of contacts and later want to delete someone from it, such as if someone gets a new phone number or a coworker or employee no longer works at your business. Whatever the reason may be, you can do this from the Contacts app. Tap the «Menu» button in the Contacts app and choose the group in question. Tap the «More» menu represented by the three dots and tap «Remove Contacts.» Tap the «Remove Contact» button next to the person you want to remove from the group.
Edit Contact Groups From Web
If you’re using a computer rather than your phone, you can still edit contact groups through the Google website and the changes you make will automatically be synched to your Android devices if you have your contacts configured to sync with Google. To add people to a group online, visit the Google Contacts site and click checkboxes next to the people you want to add. Click the «Label» button and click a group or set of groups to add those contacts. If you need to create an entirely new contact group online, click «Labels» in Google Contacts and click «Create Label.» Type a name for the new group and click «OK.» To remove contacts from a group this way, visit the Google Contacts website and click the group name. Then, check the boxes next to the person or people you want to remove from the group. Click the «Label» button and uncheck the name of the group.
Email Groups from Gmail
If you’re using Gmail on the web and you have email addresses for your contacts in a group, you can send an email to the group. To do so, start typing the name of the group in the «To» box in the Gmail «Compose» menu. Click the group in the autosuggest menu. The contacts’ names and email addresses should appear in the «To» box. Verify it’s the right group of recipients and then write and send your message.
- How to add a mobile wireless hot spot to your network
- How to manage anxiety with journaling
- How to convert mac .pages format into jpeg
- How to dry oregano
- How to stop loving the girl of your dreams