A lot of people use a Google account for their emails (Gmail or a Google for work account) and the iCal calendar (Apple) application on Mac. In this case, when you schedule a meeting from your calendar on mac, your event may not appear in your Google calendar account. It is because your Google calendar is not your default calendar on mac.
Make your Google calendar as default on mac, necessary to use some apps
It can be very useful to make your Google calendar default on mac. Today, a lot of great applications ask you to log in with Google and ask for an access permission to Google calendar. It is the case for some calendar applications, some scheduling software or some meeting tools. For these applications, your Google calendar needs to be up-to-date. Some of them let you share your availability with customers, co-workers or friends. But, they may show some wrong data if the calendar you actually use, your calendar on mac, is not correctly synced with your Google calendar.
Make your Google calendar as default on mac to be up-do-date on your Android calendar
Another case when it is very useful to make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac is when you are using an Android phone. On an Android mobile phone, everything is done for you to sync your Gmail account and to connect Google calendar account. But, it is not possible to connect an iCal account. If your Google account is not your default calendar on your mac, it is likely that you will not have all your meetings synced with your mobile calendar.
Steps to make your Google calendar as default on mac
Now, let’s see how to make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac. At the end of this article, you can find a video tutorial that shows you how to deal with this Google calendar / iCal synchronisation easily. Feel free to jump to any part of this article. 1. Add your Google calendar to iCal calendar on mac 2. Make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac 3. Make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac (video tutorial)
1. Add your Google calendar to iCal calendar on mac
Choose a calendar account to add on iCal calendar on mac
To add your Google calendar to your Apple calendar application on mac, you need to click on the “Calendar” tab in the menu. Then, you need to click on “Add Account” to add your preferred calendar accounts on your iCal application on mac. If you have an iPhone, an iPad or an Apple watch and if you use the iCal application on these devices, you will see the preferred accounts that you added. Your Apple calendar application lets you add either an iCloud account, an Exchange account, a Google account, a Facebook account, a Yahoo account or a CalDAV account. In our case, we will add a Google calendar account on your mac calendar. Click on “Google” and then press “Continue” to go to the next step.
Let your Mac access your mail and other Google account data
You will be asked to sign in with your Google account to let your Mac access your email and other Google Account data. Enter your Google email, then click on the “next” button. Select the apps that you want to use with your Gmail account. In our case, you can only select the “calendar” option as we only want to synchronise your Google calendar with your mac. Click on the “Done” button when you are finished.
2. Make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac
Set Google calendar as default calendar on mac in your preferences
Wait a little and if everything is right, you should see that your Google account and your Google calendars are now connected with your iCal calendar on your mac. You can choose which of your calendars you want to display in your mac calendar. To make your Google calendar as default calendar on your mac, you need to click on the “Calendar” tap in the menu and then on “Preferences”. In your preferences, in the “general” tab, you will see that you can choose which of your calendars you want to make as default calendar on your mac. Just select, within your Google accounts, the calendar that you want to make as default. You’re done!
Create an event from your calendar on mac and check synchronisation with your Google calendar account
To be sure that everything is working properly, we suggest that you create an event from your calendar on your mac. You can either click on the “plus” button next to the “tab” (Create quick event) or click somewhere inside your calendar. The event should be created in the default calendar that you set, i.e. your preferred Google calendar account. Now, go to www.google.com/calendar and check if your event has been created. Do not forget to reload the page if the Google calendar website was already open on your mac. Is it working? Great! Your Google calendar accounts and your iCal calendar accounts are synchronised. Well done!
3. Make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac (video tutorial)
Below, find a video with the steps to connect your Google calendar and make it as default calendar on mac. 1. Go to the “calendar” tab and click on “Add accounts”. 2. Connect your Google account (email and password needed). 3. Go to the “calendar” tab and click on “Preferences”. 4. Select your Google calendar as “Default calendar”.
We hope this blog post helped you make your Google calendar as default calendar on mac. Now that your Google calendar and your calendar on mac are synced, it will be possible to get the most out of some great calendar applications that ask that you log in with a Google account. At vyte, we created an easy scheduling application and you need to log in with Google to use it. We built this software to let people schedule meetings 10 times faster. If you want to get rid of email and calendar back and forth when scheduling meetings, you should give a try to our scheduling software. And, by the way, it’s free! Learn more about vyte, schedule meetings 10 times faster. If you keep calendars in internet accounts—for example, iCloud, Yahoo, or another CalDAV account—you can use the accounts in Calendar on your Mac, and access all your calendars and events in one place. Open Calendar for me
Add a calendar account
- In the Calendar app on your Mac, choose Calendar > Add Account.
- Do one of the following:
- Select your calendar account provider, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
- If your calendar account provider isn’t listed, ask your provider for the information you need to enter.Choose Other CalDAV Account, click the Account Type pop-up menu, then choose an option based on the information you need to enter.
- Automatic: Choose this option if you just need to enter your email address and password.
- Manual: Choose this option if you need to enter your user name, password, and the server address.
- Advanced: Choose this option if you need to enter your user name, password, server address, server path and port number. You can also select checkboxes if you need to use SSL or Kerberos v5 authentication.
Each account you add is listed separately in the sidebar. If the sidebar isn’t showing, choose View > Show Calendar List or click the Calendar List button in the toolbar. Set up your iOS and iPadOS devices to use the same account, so that your calendars stay up to date across all those devices and your Apple Watch.
Stop using a calendar account
You can temporarily stop using an account so that its calendars and events no longer appear in Calendar on your Mac.
- In the Calendar app on your Mac, choose Calendar > Accounts, then select the account you want to stop using.
- Deselect the Calendar checkbox.
To use the account again in Calendar, select the Calendar checkbox. The account’s calendars and events reappear.
Delete a calendar account
If you no longer want to use an account in any app, including Calendar, you can delete the account. Note: If you use iCloud Keychain, and you remove an account (other than your primary iCloud account), you’re asked whether to remove the account from your other Mac computers that use iCloud Keychain, or just turn off all the account features on this Mac.
- In the Calendar app on your Mac, choose Calendar > Accounts, then select the account you want to delete.
- Click the Remove button at the bottom of the account list.
You can view, add, and modify events, and respond to invitations, in the Calendar app on all your Apple devices that use the same accounts. You can also view, add, and modify your iCloud calendar events, and respond to invitations, on iCloud.com. Changes you make show up everywhere, so you always have your most current calendar events at hand. Calendar notifications also appear on your Mac and other devices that use the same accounts. If you use Handoff, you can switch between your Mac and other devices while creating, modifying, or viewing events and calendars. To open an event or calendar handed off to your Mac, click the Handoff Calendar icon that appears at the left side of the Dock.
Add your Google Calendar events to Apple Calendar and use it on iOS
Updated on December 21, 2020
What to Know
- Set up Google Calendar using Apple’s Add Account wizard, and it will sync seamlessly with the default calendar app for iOS.
- Next, go to Settings > Password & Accounts > Add Account > Google and follow the steps from there to start syncing.
- This process copies your Google calendar(s) to iOS but doesn’t blend or merge with your iCloud account or another calendar account.
This article explains how to add your Google Calendar events to your Apple calendar and add individual calendars to iOS. Instructions in this article apply to iOS 11 and above.
How to Set up Your Google Calendars in Apple Calendar
To add your Google Calendar events to Apple Calendar and have them synchronize automatically:
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Password & Accounts.
- Tap Add Account.
- Choose Google.
- Sign in to your Google account. Tap the Create account link to create a new Google account.The Google Accounts login screen requests your username and password on separate pages. If you set up two-factor authentication for your Google account, enter the response code.
- Turn on the Calendars toggle switch to sync Google Calendar with your iPhone or iPad. Then, tap Save to continue.
- A large calendar may take a few minutes to sync.
- Open the Apple Calendar app to view your events and appointments.
Add Individual Google Calendars to iOS
You don’t need to sync all the associated calendars in your Google account to iOS.
- Go to the Google Calendar sync settings page.
- Select the check box next to the calendars to sync with the Apple Calendar app. Clear the check box to prevent a calendar from syncing.Think twice about syncing shared calendars with public or religious holidays. Different calendars show these events. Syncing these calendars may create duplicate entries.
- Select Save.
- Refresh Apple Calendar to check that your preferences are reflected.
How to Use Google Calendar with Your iPhone or iPad
Several Google Calendar features don’t work on Apple Calendar. These include the Room Scheduler and emailed event notifications. Also, you can’t create new Google calendars using Apple Calendar.
Go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts to turn on or off sync settings, including your calendar. Tap your Gmail account to reveal the switches for mail, contacts, calendars, and notes.
By adding your Google account to iOS, you’ve configured it for the Apple Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Notes apps. However, apps from the App Store, such as Microsoft Outlook, cannot read from the iOS Settings configuration; set up your Google account individually in non-Apple apps.
- How do I sync Outlook Calendar with Google Calendar?To sync your Outlook and Google calendars, you’ll need to download and sign in to Google Workplace Sync for Microsoft Outlook. Once signed in, go to Set Up Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook and select Import data from an existing profile. In Outlook, select your Google Workspace > Set Up Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook > Start Microsoft Outlook.
- How do I sync Facebook calendar with Google Calendar?In Facebook, go to the left pane and select Events to access your Facebook Events > select See All > right-click Add to Calendar > select Copy Link Address. Next, open Google Calendar > Settings > Settings. In the left pane, choose Add Calendar > From URL > paste the URL > Add Calendar.
Thanks for letting us know! Get the Latest Tech News Delivered Every Day Subscribe
I primarily work within Google Calendar from a Linux desktop. However, there are also times when I’m working from a MacBook Pro and prefer to use the default applications. What that means is I need to integrate Google Calendar into the default iCalendar app on macOS. At the same time, I like to see my iCalendar events in Google Calendar. Oh, what a tangled web I weave. How do I pull this off? It’s actually not terribly challenging. Let me show you. To make this work, you’ll need a Google account, a macOS device with iCalendar, and your login credentials for iCloud. With all of that together, let’s make some calendar magic. Also: How to compose an email from Google Docs
Adding Google Calendar to iCalendar
Of the two processes, this is the easiest, because the functionality is built right into macOS (I’m demonstrating with Monterey). 1. Click the Apple menu in the upper right corner of your display. 2. Then select System Preferences. 3. In the resulting window (Figure 1), click Internet Accounts. The System Preferences window in macOS Monterey. 4. From the right pane (Figure 2), click Google. The Internet Accounts window makes it easy to add several different account types. 5. You will then be prompted to okay the opening of your default web browser. 6. Click Open Browser, and Safari (if it’s your default) will open to the Google account authentication wizard (Figure 3). You must sign in with your Google account before you can continue. 7. Once you’ve added the account, you can then configure which elements are added (from Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Notes — Figure 4). My Google account has been successfully added. Make sure Calendar is enabled and the next time you open iCalendar your events from Google Calendar will populate. This configuration gives you read/write access to Google Calendar from iCalendar.
Adding iCalendar to Google Calendar
There are two caveats to adding a calendar from Apple’s iCalendar to Google Calendar. The first is the iCalendar to be added must be made public. Second, it’s read-only access (so you can’t add events to iCalendar from Google Calendar).
- The easiest way of doing this is to log into iCloud and then go to the Calendar section. You should see all of your calendars listed in the left sidebar (Figure 5).
All of my various calendars are found in the Calendar section of iCloud. 2. Click the icon at the right edge of the calendar you want to add to Google Calendar. 3. Then, from the popup (Figure 6), click the checkbox for Public Calendar. Setting the calendar as public so it can be shared. 4. A webcal address will appear. Click Copy Link and click OK. 5. Go to your Google Calendar and locate Other Calendars. 6. Click the + button associated with that. 7. Then, from the drop-down, click From URL (Figure 7). Adding a new calendar to Google Calendar from a URL. 8. In the resulting window (Figure 8), paste the webcal address in the URL of the calendar field and click Add calendar. Adding the webcal address in Google Calendar. You now have to play a waiting game, as it might take up to 12 hours for the population of events to complete. Eventually, however, you’ll see all of the events from that shared calendar within Google. By adding these calendars to one another, I can be certain I always have access to my events, no matter if they’re on Google Calendar or Apple’s iCalendar. Editorial standards
- How to write the date in french
- How to etch glass with etching cream
- How to add and remove widgets from the home screen on iphone
- How to get a hamster to sleep
- How to grow cherries